Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day in Korea………

102_5160
We drove 2.5 hours to Osan to do some shopping at Sinjang.
102_5158
I love shopping in Korea but it can be a bit hectic. 
102_5153 
Vendors also fill the streets with their wares.
102_5155
The streets are cramped and lined with tiny shops packed full of merchandise.
102_5156
Once must always be alert to bicycles and motorbikes that frequently zoom through these streets.
102_5154
This is one of the side streets and cars can traverse this ‘street.’
 102_5175
Today’s shopping consisted of an adorable map purse for myself.
102_5178
A small Coach messenger for my sister and a Dooney and Bourke for my adoptive kiddo, Mary.

On the way back I decided to deviate from the suggested route for which we have step by step directions in English.  The map we have is completely Korean, so it required much more thought to determine city names.  But luckily, my Dad taught me when I was very young how to read a map and I have loved maps ever since then. THANKS DAD!!!
 KunsanSuggestedRoute

Suggested Route with turn by turn directions in English
KunsanNewRoute
     
New Route using only this Korean Map
The biggest challenge was not determining where I was or where I needed to go, it was determining which lane to use to switch highways.  The new route uses 4 more highways than the suggested route.  However, when the ramps are not clearly marked South or West it can be tricky.  But I am very proud to report that we shaved 30 minutes off our time and 20 miles off our drive.  We even did so without making a single wrong turn, which is more than I can say for using the turn by turn directions!
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY AMERICA!!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you.