Monday, April 30, 2012

Botox for Migraines

Today was the day!  I went to my neurologist, so he could use me as a human pin cushion.  Starting in my forehead, moving around my head, down the back of my neck and across the back of my shoulders. I have suffered with migraine headaches since I my early teens. We do know that a fair amount of my headaches are because of the Chiari but we suspect that I am also a classic migraine sufferer.  I have been quite nervous about this procedure, not because of the shots but the thought of having a toxin derived from pigs injected into my body just didn’t seem prudent. 
The actual act of getting numerous shots wasn’t bad actually. My doctor used numbing spray and the needles are very tiny.  Their was minimal pain from the shots.  But I must admit that my head did feel a bit odd for the remainder of the day.  I can’t even quite explain what odd actually means. 

For the next three months I must track my headaches. This will help give my neurologist a complete picture of whether or not the Botox is helping improve my situation with my headaches.   Recently, I have not been on any migraine prophylaxis as we have been unable to find any that actually reduce the number of headaches I am having per month.  So I am quite curious to see if Botox will be effective.
Management_Diary_x2_tmb
Migraine Tracking Form
 
It is now seventy two hours later and so far I cannot report great results.  I have headaches every day since receiving the shots.  However, I don’t know how soon the Botox is supposed to be effective.  I have also been extremely lethargic the past few days. I don’t know if that is the Botox, the chiari or depression.  Yet, I am hopeful that things will start improving.  For years I have struggled with migraines and its time that something finally work for me. 
“Hope itself is like a star- not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity. ”― Charles H. Spurgeon
Now for the fine print: For further information regarding the use of Botox as a treatment of migraines check with your doctor or visit Botox for Chronic Migraines

4 comments:

  1. Even if I'm not glad to say this, botox didn't prove to be so effective in treating migraines. I think this is the less effective use of botox.
    For some people it could work but we can't be sure about this....that's why you have to wait to see if there is an improvement after this first round of botox....
    When I had my first botox Ottawa experience botox was used only to remove wrinkles and it did a great job....Everyone that had it was very satisfied with the result and that made people think botox for migraines will have the same effectiveness rate....who knows maybe in the future this will happen....I really hope so, not for me but for those that have migraines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at this point I am out of alternative options for migraine prevention. I have put my neurologist on hold with this therapy for months. He and my loved ones finally convinced me that it was worth a try. Stayed tuned to my blog to learn if the results have been worth it.

      Delete
  2. I do hope Botox works out pretty well for you, Shalunya. :) You won’t lose anything if you test your belief on something that could finally cure your illness. Just a simple reminder, always get enough rest and drink at least 8 glasses of water (or even more) a day. These little ways could do a lot one way or another. :) You can do it! Stay strong and brave.

    Jacinto Hukle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shalunya! How has it been after a couple of months? I was really interested in your post and I’d love to know the results some time after the treatment. There are a lot of arguments about this which really sparked my interest.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.