Saturday, June 8, 2013

Budget Beauty, Almay Liquid Lip Balm

I have tried numerous tinted lip balms over the years. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm,  Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain,  Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Color Stick, CoverGirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm, Nivea A Kiss of Flavor, Maybelline Baby Lips, ELF Conditioning Lip Balm, NYC Applicious Glossy Balm and more.  I thought about placing the Revlon Lip Butters and Maybelline Color Whispers on the list; but, ultimately decided they belong more in the moisturizing lipstick category rather than tinted lip balm family. In the interest of total disclosure I will admit that I have not tried Fresh Sugar as my wallet seems to be putting up quite a fight. 


Almay Liquid Lip Balm


It seems that Almay has delivered a new member into the family of tinted lip balms, the Almay Liquid Lip Balm.  My first meeting with this new baby was at CVS when I stumbled upon this fantastic display of ten fantastically wearable colors.  I snatched up four of the most wearable colors as they were currently on sale this week, buy one get one fifty percent off the usual price of $5.99 each.   In addition, to the sale price I had 4 amazing $4.00 off coupons which allowed me to take home these four gems for only $.50 each!! I chose Pink Pout, Blooming Balm, Cantaloupe Cream and Rosy Lipped.  I rocked them gently as I carried them up to the cash register envisioning a beautiful highly pigmented lip gloss caressing my lips. 




I was eager to rush home and slather my lips in this opaque delight.  I will admit that my expectations were deflated as there was no 'Bam!' in your face color.  I expected Physician's Formula Sexy Booster Glossy Satin with fully opaque color with one quick swipe of the applicator.   I love the Physician's Formula Glossy Satin but find the only two shades ridiculously bold for this gal's super fair skin.  My expectations were high for these colorful Almay tubes. Once arriving home, I stood in front of my mirror with doe foot applicator in hand waiting for the magic to happen.  I gracefully touched the applicator to my bottom lip and begin to slide it across my lip.  My stomach fell to the floor with an audible thud. Sadly, the color payoff was mediocre at best. With my dreams of lush, glossy, wearable, rich color dashed.  I stood there in stunned silence looking at my glossy yet only slightly pigmented lips. 


This is when I decided to consult my dedicated friend, Google.  It was only then that I discovered that these cute, chubby glosses weren't glosses at all; but, liquid lip balm.  I began to see that these deceptive little guys weren't intended to be a super pigmented gloss.  I finished my application and began to wear them with new purpose.  After a few hours I noticed that the glossy finish had faded but the tint was still going strong.  I pressed my lips together and rubbed them gently.  I was quite pleased to learn that the balm still felt creamy and moisturizing on my lips.  This is definitely the longest wearing lip balm (with or without tint) that I have ever known. 


These have quickly become my FAVORITE lip balm.  I love the light wash of color they provide but even more than the color I love the conditioning properties of these balms.  Typically, I don't go for bright colors; but, since these baby provide just a sheer hint of color on the lips I am tempted to go back and get all the shades.  I have a fairly large lippie collection and I like to wear something different every day. Therefore, nothing gets to stay in my purse or else my purse would be full of nothing but lip product.  Earning  a permanent home in my purse is almost impossible.  However, these delightful guys have earned their place of honor and there will always be at least one in my purse.  Until now, the only product to earn such a prestigious honor was the L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain.

Great job Almay! I am totally in love with these new Liquid Lip Balms.  By far, these are the BEST tinted lip balm I have ever met!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.