Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ipsy, Is It Worth It? Apr 2013


Ipsy is a monthly beauty subscription service started by Michelle Phan.. For $10 a month, ‬Ipsy will mail you a bag containing beauty products to sample and enjoy. The theme for April’s Ipsy glam is Pretty in Pink which brings to mind spring flowers, floral prints and fresh pastel colors. My bag arrived yesterday in the midst of an unusual early spring ice storm. Included in this month’s bag is Healthy Sexy Hair Treatment , Be a Bombshell Blush,  Two Cosmetics Eyeshadow Duo and Sation Nail Polish. As usual, there is also a cute purse size cosmetics bag in which to carry all this month’s goodies.  I will admit that I love pink; therefore, this bag did not disappoint.
003 Ipsy 0413The first full sized product in the bag is Sation Nail Polish in Love at First Byte. It’s a creamy peach color which is perfect for Spring and compliments my fair skin. I was excited when I saw this product since I love trying all sorts of brands of nail polish. Sadly, I found that this polish was not as opaque as I would have liked.  There are two coats of polish on the top picture and even with three it still wasn’t completely opaque.  I adore the color so I will use this over a flesh toned opaque polish.  The Sation Nail Polish in Love at First Byte. retails for $3.50.
002 Ipsy 0413Next up is the Be a Bombshell Blush in Sweet Cheeks which I am going to assume is full sized at 5 grams. The website lists the price at $16.00 but does not list product size. This blush is very creamy and silky with great pigmentation. We fair skinned girls will need to use a light touch with this blush. Usually I prefer matte blushes and this one is a shimmer but doesn’t have glitter.  But I am open to giving it an honest try as the color is truly beautiful.
The Two Cosmetics Eyeshadow Duo in Heartache is a fantastic compliment to the 004 Ipsy 0413blush.  Two Cosmetics lists this duo as 1 gorgeous shade in 2 finishes. I found that the matte on the right is a bit darker than the shimmer. But I find both colors equally lovely so that is of no consequence to me. The colors are moderately pigmented and buildable.  The texture is blendable and smooth but not overly creamy.  Super creamy shadows can be too easy to blend away or end up looking muddy. So I find the texture of these quite nice.  The top swatch is with no primer and the bottom is with primer both with flash.  The middle is with no flash and no primer. This is a full sized sample and retails for a $6.99.

The final two little gems are the Healthy Sexy Hair Soy 005 Ipsy 0413Renewal and the bag itself.  It’s a cute white bag with a pink patent detail at the zipper. I was concerned about the bag being white but the material cleans quite easily. So no worries.  The Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal claims to be nourishing styling treatment made with Moroccan Argan Oil that addresses moisture, frizz, smoothness, elasticity and shine concerns. Also protects from environmental stresses and reduces drying time. The full size retails for $19.99 which gives this .85 fl. oz. sample a value of approximately $4.00.  I have not yet tried this sample but Sexy Hair has never disappointed me yet.
001 Ipsy 0413
By my calculations Ipsy’s April ‘Pretty in Pink’ bag is valued at over $30.00 and I extremely happy with this months products.  So I would say that April’s bag is definitely worth the $10.00 subscription fee.  I can honestly say that I would never have purchased the Sation Polish, the Be a Bombshell blush or the Two Cosmetics eyeshadows as I have never heard of these products. I can assure you that I would not spend $16.00 on a blush from an unfamiliar manufacturer. But I love that I get the opportunity to try them and more for a reasonable price. Well done Ipsy! Thanks for making my Spring ‘Pretty in Pink.” 

These products were purchased by myself with the intend to enjoy them. Please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for your daily dose of positivity.

Ipsy, Is It Worth It? May 2013
Ipsy, Is It Worth It? Apr 2013
Ipsy, Is It Worth It? Mar 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.