Friday, April 30, 2010

Living in the dark………

So what’s a girl to do when she is halfway around the world, she is alone, she has no car, knows almost no one and has just had the electricity turned off? I lay in bed at 800am staring in disbelief at the lack of blinking lights on the internet modem. Really it was the lack of any lights on the modem. I had been chatting with two different friends online and suddenly they were both gone. I guess I should say I was gone from them. I soon discovered that I would be spending the entire day without power. So here is what a girl does when she is without electricity for the day in Korea.
IMG_0216
I take a shower by booklight; if not it’s pitch black in the bathroom.
IMG_0217
I open the heavy curtains to let the light in and read a great book by a wonderful Irish author that I happen to know.
IMG_0190
I certainly don’t watch TV and I had borrowed some great movies from the library!!!
IMG_0226
IMG_0235










I wash a few dishes by booklight because without the light it’s just too dark to see!!


IMG_0250It dawned on me as I was painting my nails fun colors that living with chronic illness is kind of like living in the dark. You know that this condition is there but you can’t see it. You stumble around trying to figure out which way to turn next. You think you might be going the right way but then you bump into a large piece of furniture. It feels like you are so alone even if someone is in the room with you. You certainly can’t find your way out as there are NO exit signs. What’s a girl to do? Have faith in what you can’t see. After all, it’s not about finding your way out. It’s learning to find the furniture so you can still dance in the dark!!
Quote of the moment: When you have come to the edge Of all light that you know And are about to drop off into the darkness Of the unknown, Faith is knowing One of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or You will be taught to fly. ~Patrick Overton

7 comments:

  1. I spent a day like that earlier this month...alone, without power, disconnected from my online world. Sounds like you had a good day anyway :) Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought maybe you had fallen off the map and ended up in the dark night that was N Korea on the satellite map!!!

    Hope the electricity stays on for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the power was out one day last week & everyone was out grilling!
    You are so smart to use your book light to get you thru your day ;)

    Chronic illness has a dark spot doesn't it ;( Good thing your such a ray of sunshine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the photography in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book light in the shower! You are so very creative! Hope you can now see the light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have the light back! I like the nail painting and your analogy :)

    Really liking your blog Shalunya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your writing and that you can make a good thing out of a what could be pain in the but LOL
    and ya even thought to photograph it!!
    YOU GO GIRL

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.