Sunday, July 19, 2009

Star of Wonder table runner

In the meantime I am working on finishing the wedding present for Sean and Katie who are currently honeymooning in Hawaii. I felt bad about not being able to finish their full present before the wedding but since the present is for Christmas I figured they wouldn’t mind if it was a little late.  I am making a Nativity scene table runner, four placemats, four napkin rings and a couple of towels too. I finished the table runner and have already given it to them.
102_2268
So now I am working on the placemats and thought I would show everyone how it’s done! I am doing this project from Art to Heart’s Star of Wonder by Nancy Halvorsen. This is the photo from her book.
102_2427
First you need to determine what pieces you need to cut.  This also shows the placement of the pieces on the placemat.
102_2428
Next you have to trace each piece on Heat N Bond. It’s paper on one side and a thin layer of glue that it heat activated. You have to trace each piece separately. Making four placemats means a lot of little pieces. You have to label each so you don’t get confused where they go.
102_2436
Next you have to choose what fabric you are going to use for each piece. This can be a daunting task!! I don’t have the exact fabrics they used in the book but I have a nice collection of other fabric which fits quite nicely. The ones in the plastic bags are neatly organized from a previous project.
102_2438
Once you’ve made your choice then you have to iron each piece onto the back side of the fabric.
102_2440
Then you have to cut each piece out.
102_2441
These are some of the other pieces I already have cut out.   
102_2437
Once I get all these little pieces cut out I will bring you along on the next part of the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.