Thursday, October 24, 2013

Maybelline the Colossal Smoky Eyes

Welcome to Shalunya and Boyet. Just a cozy little place where this sick girl talks about makeup. Recently, while at CVS I spotted the new Maybelline Volum'Express The Colossal Smoky Eyes Mascara. Whew! That's a very long name for this little tube of mascara. I will admit that I'm not a huge fan of Maybelline mascara. I enjoy The Rocket but it's not really all that. I could take it or leave it. 


So when I spotted The Colossal Smoky Eyes I didn't have high hopes for it. To be completely honest the only reason I really bought it was because it was on sale for $5.00 and I had a $1.00 off coupon making it only $4.00. Plus it comes in the color Blue Blaze. A blue mascara that I can review? Heck yeah, count me in. 


Can we talk about the smoke on the cap for just a second? It looks completely cool. This just screams "I am THE mascara for bad@*$ girls." I feel like a hot chic just having this mascara in my collection. But I figured that would be the entire excitement of owning this mascara. 


Maybelline claims instant volume, no clumps and smoky dark lashes. They claim that their formula has the intensity of Black Kohl for Colossal Smoky Dark lashes. 


This mascara has a huge traditional bristle wand. I'm not a fan of bristles I prefer rubber spikes as they tend to grab my lashes and deposit the mascara better, at least for me. I wouldn't call this color Blue Blaze, Deep Navy maybe but there is nothing blazing about it. 


Naked lashes with a light application of matte shadows.

One Coat of the Colossal Smoky Eyes
Nice color but nothing particularly volumizing or lengthening at this point.

Two Coats of the Colossal Smoky Eyes

Wait a second, this is starting to look really promising. Hmph. I didn't expect that. I did feel the need to use a lash comb because I can't stand lashes that stick together and the bristles on this wand encourage that behavior. 

Three Coats of the Colossal Smoky Eyes with no eyeliner

Wow! This looks really good. When I look back at side by side comparisons with some of my other high scoring mascaras I am surprised. This mascara looks every bit as good as they do. I'm genuinely impressed. But surely, it will start smudging or flaking. Nope, after more than 10 hours of wear no smudging, flaking or fading. I thought the 'Smoky Eyes' thing was just a gimmick but I am truly impressed with this mascara. This one caught me off guard. I am pleasantly surprised to be enjoying this mascara. 



  • We're Talking about: The fact that my prescription for contacts has expired and now I have to find a new optometrist. My old one moved away. 
  • We're Praying about: Our girls' semester exams. ( 。・_・。)(。・_・。 )
  • We're Laughing about: The fact the car got new shoes and an alignment. She no longer walks like a drunk! 。◕‿◕。
  • Keep following us here, on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.